Reflection 1 Web Spaces

My experience with Blogger and Google Sites so far.

When initially engaging with this unit, admittedly, I felt overwhelmed and unsure as I have not had much experience using online sites, other than consuming social media. However, I have learnt a lot about Blogger through the use of uploading my blogs and spending time navigating the settings. As a student I have learnt through my own attempts and trial and error. I have found Blogger straight forward, at times, to navigate and work out. I have seen the tools it provides and can see how this could be used in a classroom with my future students. Students can create their own templates and styles of blog layouts. They can include images and links, just as I have. 
Originally my blog was very plain and boring, which did not motivate me to put in a lot of effort to this site but as I have explored how to customise and include images, it has become more fun to design. I have worked out how to change the heading to an image and enjoyed using Paint 3D to create a title on the image of myself that can be seen at the top of this site. I did need to Google how to save the setting changes I made as I could not find the save button. I later realised it was on the bottom right corner of the screen in faded grey. I have not yet checked if I can multi-author blogs as I have not needed that function. 
Overall, Blogger has been easy to use but has taken me some time to understand where particular settings are located in 'themes' and 'layouts'. I have not yet worked out how to change font colours for particular parts in blogs and headings. As you can see, I have worked out how to add Bitmojis, to create a more personalised touch. I used Google Chrome extensions to find and add these to my blogs. I do not feel that you need to have a lot of experience to navigate a site like Blogger, as it is easy to navigate once you become familiar with it. It has been quite easy to include links to other sites as hyperlinks, rather than long URLs. 
My Blog has transformed the more I have attempted to make changes and consider the overall efficiency and design of the page as a whole. In this first picture you can see the unappealing style I began with. I have also considered safe online practices and have taken my full name out of the site. I decided to create a title with an image of me to engage readers and to present the author of the site. 
Original layout


Current layout

I have begun creating my website for my portfolio (Assignment 2) but am still yet to learn how to navigate a different online site, Google Sites. I intend to implement various forms of media on my website. It can be found here:

Legal, safe and ethical protocols 

Websites such as Blogger and Google Sites are public. Thus, students need to understand that anyone can have access to what they are uploading. They must understand the safety involved and not provide personal details about themselves that can be accessed online. As a teacher I would not be encouraging students to upload any photos of themselves but have only done this for University purposes myself as an adult. When sharing the link, students will need to consider who has permission to view. Students must also consider intellectual property, such as when using images from other sources and ensuring they acknowledge it is not their own work but rather take inspiration from them. Ethically, students must understand how their viewpoints can be interpreted and ensure they are using ethical communication at all times, including when posting videos about particular topics which may be controversial and draw unwanted attention. 

Suggestions 

One example of how online spaces could be used when teaching ITD is by getting students to create a webpage advertising a product they have made or intend to. When considering the SAMR Model for this activity, the below outlines different stages of the model: 


Substitution: Students may use Microsoft Word to put down ideas for project.
Augmentation: Students may use Microsoft PowerPoint to create a design for their idea.  
Modification: Students may use Blogger to document their ideas and steps for design. 
Redefinition: Students may create a webpage on Google Sites promoting their product.


Instructional design/SAMR Model/

They are many benefits to using online sites in the classroom but careful consideration is required, to ensure students are not just consumers but are using higher-order thinking and are critically aware of the uses of ICT for educational tools. 


This video demonstrates what future classrooms may look like and are already becoming. 

What Will Schools Look Like in the Future? - YouTube



Freethink. (2016, December, 20). What will Schools Look Like in the Future? [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZlgYiXzu58 








4 comments:

  1. Hi Tom, I've really enjoyed how you have become comfortable with your blog and the exploration of settings. The blogs evolution into a professional and vibrant layout is pleasing. The use of hyperlinks on your images is fantastic. However, im curious to know what extensions you used, it would have been nice to have a list of these. Hyperlinks to these would have been helpful. In saying that, you have covered the legal, and ethical issues in depth and I really enjoyed your idea of students advertising their products online. Genz as you are aware are entrepreneurial and this caters to this characteristic. Overall, your blog is pleasing to look at and read. - Wes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tom,
    Great first up reflection! I too enjoyed reading about your initial experiences using different digital technologies as opposed to social media. I had very similar thoughts and feelings. Like yourself I found the more I used Blogger, the more confident I became so well done for sticking at it. Your blog layout and images are really appealing and engaging and I like how you've showed evidence of how your blog has changed using screenshots. The legal and ethical protocols section is very relevant and well backed up with examples and scenarios. The use of the SAMR model is well thought out and the use of a website would be very useful in presenting all their information in a product design assessment. Great effort!

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tom, setting up a blog is a bit like that. I enjoyed the change and the personal touch you've added. I like how you've have used the SAMR model in ITD. I never thought about integrating Google Sites to promote products students created in class, that is a wonderful idea. This is an awesome reflection, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey mate! Great read, glad to see I wasn't the only one feeling overwhelmed at the beginning of this unit. I think you have addressed all three criteria components effectively. The first section followed your learning experience clearly and the second focused on appropriate legal, safe and ethical protocols. I thought your SAMR aspect was well presented and very concise. A really good job, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete