Pedagogical Principles


What are the Pedagogical Principles (defined in the Learning Materials)?

The Pedagogical Principals are defined as: 

1. Facilitating deep knowledge through higher order thinking 

2. Facilitating collaborative learning in which conversations are important 

3. Supporting students in knowing how they learn best 

4. Planning learning that is problem-based, and situated in real life contexts 

5. Is relevant to students, and connects to their background knowledge 

6. Supports learning that is owned, controlled and managed by students themselves 

7. Is socially supportive, engaging, and values cultural knowledges 

8. Is supportive of the development of active citizenship, and strong group identity. 


Retrieved from: A Guide to Productive Pedagogies (unimelb.edu.au)

What do the Pedagogical Principles mean to you in common language?

Pedagogical principles mean that as I continue my degree I need to work out the best teaching pedagogies that suit me, in order to have a planned approach to teach the students authentically. This will support student learning and my individual teaching approach. It will help me form relationships with students where I am confident in my practice.

Consider whether the Pedagogical Principles make sense to you in terms of your own experience in learning that has a) been pedagogically sound, and b) been pedagogically woeful?

Throughout my high school, my job as a Teacher Aid and as a university student I have experienced pedagogical principles being implemented successfully as well as ineffectively.  As a school student, I remember feeling bored and disengaged through a few of my high school subjects. I feel this was because of the way teacher was relaying the information and not making it easy to understand or comprehend, particularly for a student like myself where I needed extra time to process new information. However, I found ITD and HPE to be subjects that I enjoyed as the pedagogical principles were sound.

Can you recognise these pedagogies in the experiences you have identified in the sound category? Elaborate.

Throughout high school, I found that my ITD and HPE subjects were definitely in the sound category. Firstly, because my teachers where enthusiastic and made what we were learning interesting. Secondly, because it was engaging. Finally, because it was relatable to real life.

Beyond this, can you identify the links between Judy Willis' knowledge of the brain and learning, Sir Ken Robinson's perspective on creativity, the needs of your contemporary learners and these pedagogical principles?

I can identify links between Judy Willis' Knowledge of the brain and the messages she gives. Her pedagogical ways of Teaching were aimed at reducing students' boredom during class and encouraging their engagement. These are similar to Sir Ken Robinson, as he advocates creativeness and encourages outside the box thinking. These ideas are inspirational, for they evolve students' higher order thinking. Thus, the students become more creative and critical thinkers, more engaged and ultimately become contemporary learners reaching their full potential.

Why is it important to engage social interaction and prior knowledge, and plan for individualised and socially supportive, valued learning?

It is important to engage students in social interaction and use their prior knowledge to develop an understanding of what student already know and how they can incorporate that into what they are learning about. Planning for social and individualised interactions, ensures students can apply every-day knowledge and considerations, making the learning more approachable and attainable.

Reflect on your experiences of pedagogy as a learner. How many of these pedagogies are you familiar with?

I am reflecting on my post-school cabinet making apprenticeship. This is where I remember our teacher using Pedagogy Principle (2) 'Facilitating collaborative learning in which conversations are important', when allowing students to work together when using timber. (4)  'Planning learning that is problem-based, and situated in real life contexts' and (8) 'Is supportive of the development of active citizenship, and strong group identity' were also seen when we were put in groups to work collaboratively and come up with solutions to make a timber based product that would be useful and efficient in real life scenarios. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment